Translate

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Moment Bernie Lost My Vote


First I have to admit that Bernie never had my vote sewn up.   I'm not his demographic in the first place; being a registered Democrat and a female boomer, I'm more likely to be for Hillary anyway.

I am certainly sick of Citizens United, and the outsized role of money in politics, and the favoritism the U.S. shows sinking corporations over sinking schools and infrastructure.  And I favor lots of other things Bernie espouses, with the glaring exception of his stand on gun control.

Tipping point: Wrong holiday, right metaphor,
right letter.
But then there's the electability thing.   A friend down in Atlanta, outside my blue Northeastern bubble, tells me there's no way America is ready for President Bernie. I surely don't want to risk a Trump or a Cruz or a Kasich presidency, and I frankly can't believe that Hillary hatred is so strong that Bernie would make a better bet against the Donald.

And there's the nuance thing.  A story in the Times reports that according to studies of their delivered speeches, Hillary's show much more actual cogitation and careful weighing of complexities, as opposed to the more single-minded notes struck repeatedly by Bernie.

I think it was David Brooks who wrote, also in the Times,about the importance of being able to hold competing truths in your head at one time, and to navigate to the best trade-offs between them. That's where things actually happen. Thanks, Bernie, for pulling Hillary to the left.  But I really like thinkers; the nuanced ambivalences of Obama in his Dreams for My Father book made me extra happy to vote for him.

The specific instant that I decided against Bernie was the one that demonstrated that single, simplified story line... the moment he quoted that  grossly exaggerated death toll of Gazans during the last Israeli response to Hamas shelling and bombing.

You want to call that response disproportionate, that's your right and your call.

But like we say, you're not entitled to your own facts.   And the fact that you would just repeat whatever was handed to you, by propagandists, shows a disinterest in the fine points.  And in accuracy.  .

Being anti-Netanyahu would not have cost you my vote.  Being against Israeli policies, ditto.  You got props for standing up to AIPAC and if you demonstrated that being critical of Israel is now a politically survivable thing to do, that would also have been all right with me.  I even believe you when you say that long-term, you have Israel's best interests at heart. Most left-of-center Jews do.

But you can't just repeat what's shoved at you. That tipped me over into the camp I was leaning toward, anyway.  So bye-bye, Bernie.




1 comment: